- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Apple cake
This cake is fruity, rich and delicious. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, cream or custard.
15 people made this
- 2 large green apples, peeled and sliced
- 165g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 150g butter, melted
- cinnamon for sprinkling
- extra sugar for sprinkling
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, butter and buttermilk.
- Pour batter into a broad pie dish and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and arrange sliced apples into the semi-cooked cake batter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for a further 35 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (5)
I used 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, substituted olive oil for half the butter, used wholemeal flour with a 1/2 cup almond meal and yoghurt instead of buttermilk. Absolutely delicious. Will definitely be making this one regularly!-07 Apr 2016(Review from this site AU | NZ)
Absolutely scrumptious. I changed ingredients slightly and used 3 apples as well as a small tub of SPC apple purée and added 1 1/4 cups of chopped walnuts and as a previous reviewer said 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk is perfect.-18 Feb 2016(Review from this site AU | NZ)
Altered ingredient amounts.i used 1 tsp of baking powder and i think more milk would have been better as the mixture was more like playdough than batter but in the end it turned out well-03 Nov 2009(Review from this site AU | NZ)