- Dish type
- White bread
This bread is simple to make and truly delicious. It's soft, airy and perfect for sandwiches or toast. The secret is to not add too much extra flour whilst handling the dough.
15 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 loaf
- 480g white bread flour
- 300-320ml warm water
- 2 dessertspoons olive oil or 20g softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 7g vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lecithin granules (optional)
- 20g dried skimmed milk powder
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons easy bake yeast
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:2hr proofing › Ready in:3hr
- If using a bread machine: Place ingredients in bread machine pan according to the manufacturer's instructions. Select dough cycle. Once finished continue with step 4.
- If making the bread by hand: Place all the dry ingredients except for salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Rub in the butter. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and add water and oil. Stir until mixture forms a rough ball. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until the dough is pliable. Pat out into a rectangle and spinkle with salt. Roll back into a ball and continue to knead until the dough becomes very soft, pliable and slightly sticky, 5-10 minutes. Try to add as little extra flour as possible.
- Place dough into a large greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover and prove for 45-60 minutes. To test dough, poke a floured finger in about 1.5cm - if the imprint stays or rebounds slightly, the dough is ready.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and gently press out into a rectangle. The shorter side should be approximately the length of a loaf tin. Starting from the short side, roll up into an even log. Make sure the ends of the seams are sealed.
- Place into a well greased 22cm x 11cm loaf tin. Spray with cooking oil. Let prove in a warm area for 45-60 minutes or until the dough rises 3cm above the top edge of the tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 C / Gas 4 for 30-35 minutes. Place on wire rack to completely cool before slicing.
Vital wheat gluten and lecithin granules can be purchased in specialty shops or online.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
Superb! Soft, stretchy bread, almost too good to add a topping. I didn't have the wheat gluten or lecithin, and added a tablespoon of water on top of 320ml of water and milk mixture (I also didn't have milk powder). I used just over 1 1/2 t easy bake yeast, and followed the instructions exactly. leaving the dough for 15 minutes initially. I used a dough hook to knead. The loaf rose spectacularly and the texture is perfect. This one is a keeper, thanks!-21 Mar 2017