- Dish type
- Main course
- Tofu curry
This is a fantastic vegetarian dish. It's the perfect dinner for any day of the week.
3 people made this
- 350ml water
- 190g uncooked basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 440g firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 300ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:45min
- Place water in a medium saucepan and stir in the rice. Bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly and fluff with a fork.
- Heat the sesame oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in tofu. Stirring occasionally, fry about 20 minutes, until evenly crisp and lightly browned. Season with salt.
- In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to the boil. Mix in green curry paste. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Drizzle generously over the tofu and rice to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(48)
Reviews in English (36)
by The Bunny Chef
I made this recipe once about two years ago and made a couple changes like added brown sugar, corn starch and less curry. It was pretty good but not wonderful. But then I made it again a couple of days ago, with the following changes: added about 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, about 1/3 cup peanut butter and 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and then divided it into two pans: with with less curry paste than the other. I then let it simmer for about half an hour while I cooked tofu and shrimp and then added one cut up, cooked potato and about half a cup of peas. Prepared this way, it was truly excellent and even better than the first time, just like our favorite Thai restaurant. I'll try it sometime with zucchini, which seems to be a common ingredient in curries at Thai restaurants.-02 May 2003
This is a great basic recipe. Use caution when adding the curry paste! I checked the back of my bottle of curry paste before adding it, and thank goodness... the bottle suggested 1/2 to 1 TBS (the recipe calls for two!). So I only added 3/4 TBS, and it turned out PLENTY spicy! (The strength of the curry paste may depend on the brand.) Other variations: try adding 1 TBS brown sugar to the curry sauce. You might like to add some veggies while sauteeing the tofu; I suggest cauliflower (very small florets) and onion. You can also use seitan instead of tofu... turns out rather like a chicken curry. I like my sauce slightly thicker, so I added a little cornstarch.-16 Aug 2002
I made many modifications. I used broth instead of water. I used wide lomein noodles instead of rice. I omitted the sesame oil. I added 1 teaspoon salt. I only used 1/2 tablespoon of curry paste (and it was still wayyyy hot). My coconut milk was 14 oz. I added 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, 1 sliced zuchinni, 1 cup bean sprouts, and 1 cup snow peas. Directions: Bring broth, coconut milk, sugar, salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Add vegetables and tofu and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Serve over noodles or rice.-16 Jul 2008