- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
The classic pasta sauce, which is perfect for any Italian-themed night. Serve over freshly cooked pasta and a good sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
13 people made this
IngredientsServes: 4 - 8
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 medium flat mushrooms, chopped
- 500g lean minced beef
- 100g tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme or marjoram
- 600g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 500ml water, divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:2hr ›Ready in:2hr15min
- Heat oil in a large stock pot.
- When hot add onion and saute over low-medium heat until onion begins to turn clear but does not brown.
- Add garlic to pot and saute until aromatic.
- Add carrot, celery, pepper and mushrooms. Saute for several minutes until mushrooms and/or pepper are tender but not soft.
- Turn heat up to medium-high. Add mince to pot and stir through vegetables with a fork until mince begins to brown and any lumps are broken up.
- Stir through tomato puree and red wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
- Add mixed herbs, thyme, oregano and salt and pepper. Stir through thoroughly.
- Add tomatoes, 200g at a time, simmer for 5 minutes between each addition.
- Stir in basil, then add half the water. Simmer, covered, over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add remaining water and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes, stirring occassionally. If sauce becomes to thick simply add a little water, stirring between each addition.
Mix any leftovers with kidney beans and chilli powder and you have chilli con carne!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(7)
Reviews in English (6)
absolutely delicious-06 Jun 2012
I've made lots of sauces with mince... this is excellent as it uses many vegs and only 500g of mince. Lots of flavour. Good cconsistency. Great with any pasta. Feeds 8. Or use leftovers for lasagne or chilli. Love it.-27 Mar 2013
Absolutely pukka! My family couldn't get enough of it! I also added another 250g of mince, used passage instead of purée and water. It made enough to feed another 4 adults.-25 Mar 2015