- Dish type
- Turkey soup
This filling soup is made with turkey, pearl barley and leeks and flavoured with ground coriander. You could also use leftover Christmas turkey as it's enough to feed a crowd.
17 people made this
- 700ml water
- 200g uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 500g turkey mince or turkey breast
- 4 pints beef stock
- 300ml Chinese rice wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr45min ›Ready in:2hr
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat, and cook the onion and leeks until tender. Mix in the turkey and cook until heated through. Pour the beef stock into the pot and stir in the cooked barley. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the rice wine into the soup and season with ground coriander. Continue cooking about 10 minutes. Season with pepper to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (8)
I am giving this delicious soup 5 stars even though I changed it somewhat. Used chicken stock instead of beef as I don't use beef. Did not have enough barley so used half barley and half brown rice, which worked just fine. I used 1 T. of coriander and 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar, thinking I could add more of each if needed but was so good I stopped at that amount. Great soup, thanks!-23 Jan 2007
This was delicious, all I changed (only b/c of lack of ingredients) was that I added 3 hot Italian Sausages because I only had 10 oz of Turkey and I added 2 1/4 C + 1/4 white vinegar as I didn't have any Chinese Rice Wine. My 4 year old thought it was delicious as well!-26 Jan 2008
by Percy Lee Owen
Yuck. I'm sad that I used so many ingredients. I could only eat a half a bowl. I think it could've been a good soup if the rice wine had been left out.-14 Sep 2010