- Dish type
- Loaf cake
- Fruit loaf
A simple, yet deliciously moist egg-free, quick bread. It's fantastic for afternoon tea, elevenses, picnics or popped into packed lunches.
110 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 loaf
- 220g sultanas or raisins
- 155g cane sugar
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250ml water
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 2/3. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Place sultanas or raisins, sugar, butter, spices and water into a saucepan. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape down the sides occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Sift in the flour and the bicarbonate of soda together and mix well. Pour into prepared tin and poke any fruit peeking out at the top into the mixture. This will prevent them from burning.
- Bake for about an hour until brown on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- When done, remove any burnt fruit from the top of the loaf, if any. Allow to cool, then slice to serve.
A nice raw cane sugar for this recipe would be an unrefined demerara sugar.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (15)
Great cake. Replace half water with brandy for a lovely Christmas cake.-28 Nov 2013
great basis for a fruit loaf tweak this recipe in as many ways-02 Nov 2013
I haven't even made this and it is getting a 1 star. Ever so simple the ingredients list omits dates but the first line of the method refers to them. Ahhhh I am cross!-26 Aug 2012