- Dish type
There's nothing extraordinary about this one - it's just very nice!! An easy shortcrust pastry encases a sticky date filling. You could also add chopped walnuts to the filling, if desired.
33 people made this
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 190g self raising flour
- 375g dates
- 100g sugar
- 250ml water
- juice of a large lemon
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Place all ingredients for filling in saucepan and boil until thick, stirring occasionally. Put aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and sugar, then add milk and a well beaten egg. Mix well and add flour. (Note: if too sticky to roll, gradually add a little more flour.)
- Roll out the pastry and line a shallow baking tray with half of the mixture. Spread with date filling and cover with rest of pastry.
- Brush top with milk and prick pastry top with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven till golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
No Oats ! Great simple recipe. I replaced water with orange juice for added zing, and chucked in a bit of cinnamon & cloves-14 Aug 2016(Review from this site AU | NZ)
You could double the amount of pastry for this amount of filling. Or else use left over filling for delicious spread for toast etc.-19 Feb 2017(Review from this site AU | NZ)