- Fish and chips
- Fish batter
This is a classic recipe for fish and chips, save for the addition of beer! It makes the batter especially crisp and delicious. Make sure your oil is hot by testing it with a chip first, and take care not to overcrowd the pan.
87 people made this
- 125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300ml beer
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chips or wedges
- 2 skinless, boneless fish fillets, cut into large pieces
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lemon
- Tartare sauce
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons soured cream
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:20min
- To make the tartare sauce: In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Stir to combine, then season to taste.
- To make the batter: Sift flour in large bowl. Make a well in centre of flour. Gradually whisk in beer until batter is smooth or use a hand blender if preferred. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Dust each piece of fish and potato in plain flour and dip into batter mixture and deep fry in small batches for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with lemon wedges and tartare sauce.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (6)
Fabulous! Thank you. I did add some salt to the batter and wish I had added a bit more but all in all this was fabulous. Thanks for sharing your recipe.-05 Mar 2012
Brilliant , made this tonight for dinner and the fish was divine , I did add a teaspoon of salt to the batter , I found it didnt need much longer than 4/5 minutes though , depends on size of fish , all in all a lovely recipe!-01 May 2012
Added salt....Nice light batter, husband loved it! A winner!! Many thanks-30 Dec 2014