- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Berry cake
- Strawberry cake
- Strawberry shortcake
This is a cake with a scone-like texture that is fail-safe and delicious. I have given so many people this recipe - substitute any fruits for the apple and if you don't have time to pre-cook it - just slice it finely and then add a little more sugar if it is a "tart" fruit (rhubarb, granny smith apples, some types of stone fruits). Quick, easy, and foolproof! Great to bake in the oven whilst the main course is cooking.
72 people made this
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 185g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 sliced apples (or stewed apples, very well drained)
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Icing sugar to dust over top
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Melt butter, in either the microwave for 1 minute, or on the hob in a pan (remove from heat after melting). Beat in sugar. Add egg, beat, add flour and baking powder and mix well. The consistency should be similar to "playdough" - add more flour or a dash of milk if necessary.
- Push half the mixture into a pie tin - preferably Pyrex or ceramic. If metal, please grease with cooking oil first.
- Lay your sliced apple (or other fruits - pears, peaches, strawberries, etc. - they all work well) or stewed fruit (well drained) over the cake mixture. Sprinkle with sugar, spices and lemon juice.
- Add the rest of the mixture - you can either roll it out and lay it over like a pie crust, pull pieces off and flatten them and lay over the fruit (they spread out and join as they bake), or rub it between your hands to make a crumble over the fruit.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes. Check it - the cake should be risen, and the top golden.
- Rest the dessert for 10 minutes, then dust with the icing sugar. Delicious served straight away with ice cream, cream, or yoghurt. Equally delicious cold for breakfast with milk, or take a slice for a cake-like treat in a packed lunch.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(12)
Reviews in English (16)
This was just delish and come out so much better than I expected. I used to buy this cake from my work place but we have now stopped selling so I'm happy to make my own now with this quick and simple yet beautiful recipe. Only thing i did different was added a few drops of vanilla extract. Today I'm doing half apple and half jam as the kids done like Apple so hopefully it works out well. Thanks!-13 Feb 2016
Nice. Easy. I did what another reviewer suggested & put the top layer on in dollops. Came out looking great. Apple was a bit tart. Came from last years harvest in the garden. I'll use this one again-07 Mar 2017
This is delicious! I doubled the recipe, used a loose bottomed tin and 'topped' the cake with desert spoonfuls of the mixture. Cooked for 40 mins @ 180. Looked and tasted like a cake at the bottom with a scone topping. Leftovers tonight with custard (if I can stop picking at it!) 😃-14 Oct 2013