- Root vegetables
Not your typical croissant, but oh so delicious! I have just taken these tasty potato croissants out of my oven..... Let's see how many are left tomorrow morning.
10 people made this
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 125ml lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon dried active baking yeast
- 125ml soya milk or milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine or butter
- 150g mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1kg wholemeal flour
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:15min ›Extra time:2hr rising › Ready in:2hr45min
- Stir the dried active baking yeast and sugar into the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes until foam forms on the surface. Stir well until the yeast has dissolved.
- Add soya milk, margarine and mashed potatoes to a saucepan and cook over low heat until the margarine has melted. Mix well and stir in the yeast mix.
- Stir 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and 500g of flour into the yeast, soya and milk mixture. Gradually knead in the remaining flour, either with the hand mixer dough hook or by hand. If the dough is too sticky, knead in more flour. Knead for approximately 10 minutes, until dough is smooth. Cover with a damp towel and leave dough to stand for one hour in a warm place until its volume has doubled.
- Knead dough and roll out on a floured work surface to a circle about 40cm in diameter. Cut the circle into 16 equal triangles. Roll the triangles from the wide side to the point into croissants. Place on a greased baking tray or a tray lined with baking parchment. Leave for 45 minutes in a warm place until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Bake the croissants for about 15 minutes, until they are a light golden brown colour. Be careful not to bake them for too long or let them get too dark otherwise they will dry out. If desired, brush with melted margarine while still hot.