- Dish type
- Fruit desserts
- Cherry desserts
I requested an ice cream maker for Father's Day and now I'm just experimenting - much to the delight of my family. This cherry ice cream went down very well - the balsamic vinegar is the secret ingredient.
54 people made this
- 500g cherries, stones removed, quartered
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 200g sugar, divided
- 250ml milk
- 500ml cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
MethodPrep:2hr30min ›Extra time:2hr freezing › Ready in:4hr30min
- Mix cherries, lemon juice, 100g of the sugar and vinegar in a small bowl and leave to infuse for 2 hours.
- Drain cherries, retaining the juice. Mash half of the cherries either with a fork or a food mixer, the other half can be left quartered.
- In another bowl, mix the milk and sugar with an electric mixer until the sugar has dissolved (about 1-2 minutes). Then stir in the cream, the cherry juice, the mashed cherries and vanilla.
- Put the mixture into ice cream maker and leave for 20-25 minutes to blend until the mixture has thickened. About 5 minutes before the end of the mixing time, add the quartered cherries and continue mixing. The ice cream will then be wonderfully creamy. Once the ice cream is solid, put it into a firmly closing a container and leave it in the freezer for two hours. Remove it from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (4)
Can l make this with unsweetened soya milk-17 Mar 2015
This was absolutely gorgeous and dead easy to make. Want to see what else this guy made so I can blatantly copy ;-)-27 Jul 2014
Wow Julian, this is THE BEST ice cream recipe I have ever made! After a day of cherry picking in the Adelaide Hills, I found your recipe and gave it a go. My partner promptly declared it my 'PB - Personal Best'! And I've shared it with friends who all loved it. Thanks for your recipe - its absolutely delicious.-28 Jun 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)