- Dish type
- Nut and seed cakes
- Almond cake
This is a fabulous chocolate, almond and cherry cake. You can even brush it with whipping cream and powder it with cocoa after baking.
11 people made this
- For the cake
- 4 egg whites
- 140g butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 bar of Noisette chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of Nutella (or cocoa powder)
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 150g almonds or walnuts, coarsely grated
- For the topping
- 250g stoneless cherries from a tin or jar
- 1 drop of pure almond extract, or amaretto
- Icing sugar for decoration
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr25min
- Line a 23cm springform cake tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the egg whites and place in the fridge.
- Beat the butter, caster sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until fluffy. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and stir in the Nutella (or cocoa powder). Stir the melted chocolate, breadcrumbs and almonds (or nuts) into the butter mixture and gently fold the beaten egg whites in last.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared springform tin. Mix the cherries with a drop of pure almond extract or a little amaretto and spread over the cake mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes on the bottom shelf.
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (1)
This was very good, but I am glad I made the tweaks I did. I used 200g of dark chocolate instead of a "Noisette bar" (not knowing how big this was..). I used cocoa powder rather than Nutella as I thought it needed more dry ingredients. The idea of grating walnuts or almonds was out of the question (are you serious Lisa?) so I just chopped them finely - quicker and less hazardous on the fingers. As for the oven temperature, since this was not mentioned I guessed 150 deg C (fan oven), which cooked it perfectly in 60 minutes. Btw way, the easiest way to melt chocolate is to put it in the microwave at a low temperature - I used 360W for 4 minutes.-03 Jun 2013