- Dish type
- White bread
One of the easiest yeast bread recipes that requires no kneading. I always use 2/3 white flour and 1/3 wholemeal flour.
19 people made this
- 3/4 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
- 340ml lukewarm water
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 450g flour
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:40min ›Extra time:3hr rising › Ready in:4hr
- Dissolve the yeast in some of the water and leave it to stand for a few minutes until it starts to foam.
- Add the rest of the water to the yeast mixture, along with the salt and flour in a large bowl, and mix well. Put the dough into a very large plastic container and cover with a lid. Leave at room temperature for two hours.
- Knead dough with floured hands on a floured work surface for 30 seconds and shape into a ball. Line a small tin with a large piece of greaseproof paper (it should stand at least 5cm about the rim all around) and put the dough into it. Cover dough and let it rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- After about 45 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 230 C / Gas 8. Place a medium cast-iron casserole pot with a lid in the hot oven and leave for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the casserole pot from the oven and remove lid. Place the greaseproof paper with the bread in the hot casserole pot and cut off the excess paper (no paper should rise out of the pot). Cut a cross over the top of the bread with a sharp knife and dust with some flour. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes. Lift bread out of the casserole pot with the greaseproof paper and let cool on wire rack.