- Dish type
- Vegetable cakes
- Courgette cake
This courgette cake recipe is from my grandmother - she used to pass the courgette through a meat mincer (!) because they had no food processor. The courgette cake keeps well wrapped in aluminium foil in the refrigerator and can also be frozen.
64 people made this
- 3 eggs
- 400g caster sugar
- 200g melted margarine or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g courgette, grated
- 500g flour
- 150g ground nuts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Grease a large loaf tin or two small square tins with butter. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Stir eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and courgette together well. In a second bowl of flour, mix the nuts, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, and gradually stir into the eggs and courgette mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 60-80 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin and, if desired, dust with icing sugar.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(12)
Reviews in English (12)
This was a really lovely cake. It's very moist, and extremely large. I'd recommend using baking parchment as it was quite delicate when it came out from the oven and was deformed a little by using a palette knife! This might have had something to do with it being cooked in an aga though....-02 Aug 2010
This cake is briliant. I made it after reading the reviews. Replaced the nuts with raisins and cooked it in the breadmaker (cake setting) Would recommend it to anybody and feed it to my visitors. Yummmmy-27 Apr 2013
Gosh, it's gorgeous - I'm not sure what time of day to eat it, but perhaps that doesn't matter as it is so irresistible. Thanks, Maria and Maria's grandmother.-29 Sep 2010