- Dish type
- Bread without yeast
- Soda bread
- Wheaten soda bread
My mum has been making this wheaten soda bread on a daily basis for the last 30 years - in fact, maybe more than that! Recently, she started sprinkling the dough with sesame and pumpkin seeds which adds a delicious nutty flavour to it.
County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK
88 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 loaf
- 450g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaped teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 420ml buttermilk
- 1 or 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C / Gas 6. Lightly flour a 900g (2 lb) loaf tin.
- Sift the wheaten flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Lightly stir in the buttermilk, then use your hands to bring the dough together. Sprinkle over the sesame and pumpkin seeds and toss the dough around in the bowl a few times to coat with seeds. Tip into floured loaf tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap the base. Wrap in a clean tea towel and set aside to cool. Best eaten within a day or frozen.
My mum bakes this bread in an Aga and places a loaf tin on top to keep it moist and prevent it from burning.
Lightly butter and serve with soup, or smoked salmon or cheese. Wheaten bread is best eaten within a day or lightly toasted the next day. If freezes really well for up to a month.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(27)
Reviews in English (8)
I didn't add pumpkin or sesame seeds - might try that next time. This is exactly how I remember my granny's wheaten bread tasting. So glad to have a recipe. You need to add some more flour when you are tossing the dough around in the bowl, trying to shape it. Make sure your tins are floured as well. All in all, an excellent tasting, moist bread. Thanks!-11 Mar 2011
Only recently found this recipe. My husband is the baker in the family so he gave it a go. He said they were a doddle to make & has made them plain and some with mixed seeds over the outside - they are absolutely gorgeous. Freeze very well & I slice before freezing so we can take out a couple of slices at a time.-21 Jul 2014
Really easy to make and absolutely delicious! I added some oats instead of the seeds-01 Mar 2015