- Dish type
- Cake decorating
- Buttercream icing
A perfectly chocolaty light frosting, topping a delicious chocolate and hazelnut cupcake. Decorate if you like!
Oxfordshire, England, UK
33 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 14 Cupcakes in muffin cases
- 100g 70% chocolate
- 6 tablespoons milk (semi-skimmed is fine)
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g crushed hazelnuts
- For the frosting
- 120g 70% chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter
- 160g icing sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:50min
- Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Melt the 100g chocolate and milk over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Beat the 175g butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, stir in eggs. Fold in flour, baking powder and hazelnuts.
- Add the melted chocolate and milk mixture and mix well. Spoon into muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Frosting: Melt 120g chocolate over water and allow to cool to room temp. I often place saucepan in a bowl of cool water and keep stirring until cool.
- Beat 150g butter until smooth and creamy, add icing sugar until fluffy and light.
- Add vanilla seeds from pod and mix in chocolate. Whisk on low speed til mixed then on high speed til frosting is smooth and glossy.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, add frosting and decorate!
How to ice cupcakes
Watch our How to ice cupcakes video to see how to dress them up or down for any occasion!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(4)
Reviews in English (4)
OMG! These were beautiful! The cake was a little on the heavy side because of the melted chocolate but definitely worth it Only criticism is the amount made - Who has a 14 hole muffin tin ?!?-26 Oct 2010
Super light cupcakes, didn't last long!! Will be making these again, top marks!!!!-23 Sep 2012
I am very impressed with the rise that I got from this recipe. Sometimes my cupcakes can be very flat, but these had a fantastic top to them!I just use the spare bit of batter left over to make 2 small spare cupcakes (for me ha!).Very impressed!-08 May 2014